Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Ga-briel or Gay-briel

A little history before I go on to the main purpose of this entry:

The meaning of the name Gabriel is God Is My Strength
The origin of the name Gabriel is Hebrew

Gabriel, archangel, the divine herald. In the Bible he appears to Daniel (twice), to Zacharias, and to the Virgin Mary in the Annunciation (Dan. 8.16; 9.21; Luke 1.19,26,27). Christian tradition makes Gabriel the archangel trumpeter of the Last Judgment (1 Thes. 4.16). In art and literature Gabriel is mainly treated as the angel of the Annunciation. In the Annunciation he often carries a lily, properly the symbol of the Virgin. He is often represented on churches with trumpet raised and facing east, ready to proclaim the second coming of Christ. Feast: Sept. 29 (jointly with other archangels: are superior or higher-ranking angels)

_________________________________

I have been calling my son Gay-briel... until recently then I realised that I might have been pronouncing his name wrongly.

Should it be Ga-briel? Or is it Gay-briel as most locals would call it? I dunno! I have been trying to search websites but can't find any with those on how to pronunce names.

Mmmm... Ga-briel sounds rather odd and somehow sissy to me... Gay-briel sounds more 'normal'!

Help!! What should he be called?

1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM , Blogger chocfudgesundae said...

According to

http://inogolo.com/pronunciation/text/Gabriel

it's pronounced as GAY-bree-ull

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home